Jamie Oliver has bounced back to the top of Tesco’s celebrity cookbook chart this Christmas, after knocking ‘The Great British Bake Off’ off the top slot for the first time since 2013.
For the past two years ‘The Great British Bake Off’ team has monopolised the chart, with five separate entries in the top 10 in 2013 and 2014 (two titles by Mary Berry, one by Paul Hollywood, another by Linda Collister and also one by the collective team).
But for 2015, Jamie’s latest book, ‘Everyday Super Food,’ has taken an unassailable lead at the top of the league.
When told the news about regaining the number one celebrity cookbook spot, Jamie said: “It’s such an honour to top Tesco’s list and to beat such an institution as Bake Off (sorry Mary and Paul!). I worked hard to make ‘Everyday Super Food’ the best it could be and it’s fantastic that people are loving the recipes.”
The other surprise in the Tesco book list is the return of TV cook Nigella Lawson with ‘Simply Nigella,’ which has rocketed to number two in the chart.
Tesco book buyer Karen Brindle said: “What a turn up for the books! After dominating the lists for the last two years, The Great British Bake Off has been pushed into third place by the returning king and queen of recipe books, Jamie and Nigella.
“Feedback we’ve had from customers is that Jamie has done so well because he’s gone back to doing what he does best: helping them with easy to follow recipes, and using easy to find foods. It’s also great to see Nigella back at the top of the book charts with a book full of feel good favourites.”
The supermarket chain said it has noticed a strong trend in sales of ‘everyday super foods’ with year-on-year demand for kale rocketing by 90% and avocados soaring by 30%.
Tesco’s top selling celebrity chef books of 2015 are:
1. Jamie Oliver – Everyday Super Food
2. Nigella Lawson – Simply Nigella: Feel Good Food
3. Great British Bake Off – Celebrations: With Recipes From The 2015 Series
4. The Hairy Bikers – The Hairy Bikers’ Meat Feasts With Over 120 Delicious Recipes
5. Gino D’Acampo – Gino’s Islands In The Sun: 100 Recipes From Sardinia And Sicily To Enjoy
6. Mary Berry – Mary Berry’s Absolute Favourites
7. Nigel Slater – A Year Of Good Eating – The Kitchen Diaries III
8. Mary Berry – Cookery Course
9. Lynn Hill – Clandestine Cake Club: A Year Of Cake
10. Covent Garden Soup – A Little Book Of Soups: 50 Favourite Recipes
At Tesco, demand for celebrity chef titles soars over the festive period and sales at this time account for nearly a third of the annual food book market.