The supermarket chain said: ‘This festive season will be all about opulence, inclusivity and adding a touch of novelty to the yuletide celebration. Despite the humid weather and summer sun, retailers are underway producing innovative and delicious products for Brits to enjoy at Christmas.
Highlights of the range include:
– Vegan Festive Wellington: puff pastry filled with chickpeas, cranberries and apricots blended with festive spices and topped with a cranberry sauce;
– 12 Pigs in Blankets Centrepiece: 12 pigs in blankets on a bed of pork, sage and onion stuffing, measuring a foot in length;
– Whole Lamb Leg with Smoky Mint and Redcurrant: a turkey alternative of lamb finished with clementine and bay leaves, roasted in a redcurrant and mint glaze;
– Millionaire’s Winter Village: made up of small bronze and gold dark chocolate houses, with layers of digestive crumb, chocolate-coated honeycomb, salted caramel sauce, Belgian white chocolate mousse and a milk chocolate ganache;
– Chocolate Swirl Vegan Desserts: shaped in a traditional bundt style, the swirls contain vegan caramel sauce and dairy-free chocolate mousse with a dark Belgian chocolate shell finished with gold lustre;
– Pip the Penguin Cake: sponge filled with frosting and raspberry jam, topped with soft icing and finished with edible decorations;
– Winter Spice Gin: gin with winter spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and finishing notes of cranberry and clementine.
Asda senior director of new product development Linsey Taylor commented: “For me, this is the most exciting time of the year: unveiling the fabulous food and drink combinations we’ve been working hard on for the festive season. This year, we’ve really considered customer feedback from 2018 – creating products based on needs and desires for certain food and drink, particularly for those looking for more inclusive options but still seeking delicious flavour and great value.”
Asda head development chef Mark Richmond added: “While we’re retaining the much-loved Christmas ingredients and flavours of the festive season that our customers know and love, we’ve also created new inspirational products to bring a range of taste sensations for everyone to enjoy.”
Asda’s Pip the Penguin Cake