Recent events it seems has turned us into a nation of ‘craft lovers’ with the Open University seeing a 622% spike in registrations for creative subjects during the first 2020 lockdown and with an ever-increasing number of us turning to craft in all forms for relaxation, as well as inspiring new businesses across a number of crafting spheres. Embroidery, macrame, upcycling, pottery, painting are being embraced with pottery in particularly pulled out by Stylist Magazine as a ‘cool hobby’. All of this is something Denby Pottery, based in the heart of the Derbyshire countryside, has known now for over 200 years.
Denby’s current campaign, therefore, focuses on the hand-crafting of its ceramics; the hands behind the handcrafting as well as the craft behind it. Alongside rich stories about the people who make their unique pottery on the same site where the pottery was founded in 1809 and the fascinating craft techniques of ‘jollying’ and ‘fettling’ clay, is its ‘Makers’ Month’. A month-long feature running throughout June to celebrate and champion a number of inspiring Crafters and Makers, who share Denby’s passion for the art of careful process and sustainable methods. Resident Denby hand thrower, Sean Flint, for example, will be demonstrating how to throw a unique piece of pottery that consumers will be able to view online and each of the Community of Makers Denby is championing will be sharing their stories and tips on Crafting at home.
During the campaign, Denby is also unveiling new collections to its Home Décor portfolio including hand-thrown Prestige Home Décor Vases and new Collectables which brings to life 1930s archive designs, including Marmaduke the rabbit and Byngo the French Bull dog.
Denby has assets available for retailers to share which include:
– A new film which has been created which works exceptional well as a good training tool and an enjoyable watch as well as learning
– Imagery for retailer websites
– Insights into the techniques used, from fettling and jolleying to diddling! Learn from The Pottery Dictionary the meaning of Pottery terms.
– Beautiful designs for the new vases and collectables
– Tap in to Denby’s full calendar of events throughout June including FAQ’s, easy ‘how to’ guides and a further two Insta Live events where we see Denby collaborate with Makers to talk about what makes their craft so special