‘The Great British Bake Off’ may have departed the BBC for Channel 4, but its spin-off show ‘Bake Off: Crème de la Crème’ will continue to be broadcast on the BBC.
The first series, which aired on BBC Two last year, was hosted by chef Tom Kerridge.
The second series will be hosted by comedian and actor Angus Deayton, best known as a former presenter of BBC One’s topical quiz show ‘Have I Got News For You’.
Kieran Smith, executive producer of Love Productions which produces Bake Off, said: “We're delighted Angus has taken up the baton to host the new series of ‘Crème De la Crème’. His distinct humour and presenting style will bring a fresh dynamic to the show.”
BBC2 channel editor Patrick Holland said he was pleased the series would be returning to the BBC. “‘Bake Off: Crème de la Crème’ proved a great hit with audiences last year and we are pleased that it is returning to BBC Two with Angus Deayton at the helm,” he said. “With its wit, charm and celebration of specialism, it's a show I’m delighted to have on BBC2."
Judge Claire Clark from the first series will also not be returning for series two. Instead, chef patissier Benoit Blin, who works at Raymond Blanc's Belmond Le Manoir Aux Quat'Saisons, and The Langham's executive pastry chef Cherish Finden, will be judges.
Series two will still feature 10 teams of professional pastry chefs across nine episodes.
But the format will be slightly different, with two groups of five teams each competing across three heats, followed by two semi-finals and the final. The aim is to allow the audience more time to get to know the chefs taking part.
Channel 4 became the new home of ‘The Great British Bake Off’ after the broadcaster signed a three-year agreement with Love Productions.
At the time, Love Productions creative director Richard McKerrow commented; “We believe we’ve found the perfect new home for ‘Bake Off’’. It’s tremendously exciting to have found a broadcaster who we know will protect and nurture ‘The Great British Bake Off’ for many years to come.”
The first ‘Bake Off’ programming planned for broadcast on Channel 4 this year will be a celebrity version of the show, in aid of Stand Up to Cancer. No announcements have been made on whether there will be a full series of the show airing in 2017. But ‘Bake Off’ producers have already begun the application process for the eighth series. The applications closed on January 8.
Angus Deayton: new presenter of ‘Bake Off: Crème de la Crème’