News

John Lewis launches biggest own-brand launch in its history

Today (Thursday July 2) John Lewis has revealed details of its largest own-brand launch to date. Created in-house by the John Lewis & Partners Design Studio team, a new womenswear collection entitled “John Lewis & Partners” comprises 300 designs that will carry the retailer’s new brand name: “John Lewis & …

Read More »

Taylor’s Eye Witness boss calls for action to amend Offensive Weapons Bill

Taylor’s Eye Witness joint managing director Alastair Fisher has written to Home Secretary Sajid Javid expressing his concerns about the proposed Offensive Weapons Bill. Introduced on June 20, the Bill proposes to ban the delivery of knives and corrosives bought online to residential addresses. At the time, Sajid Javid said: …

Read More »

Beers, BBQs and big screen TVs lift June sales

UK retail sales increased by 1.1% in June on a like-for-like basis from June 2017, when they had increased 1.2% from the preceding year, according to the British Retail Consortium (BRC)-KPMG monthly monitor. On a total basis, sales increased 2.3% in June, against an increase of 2% in June 2017. …

Read More »

What More UK gives a lesson on plastics

What More UK recently paid a visit to Peel Park primary school to answer questions about their plastic products, and explain the role that children have in the future of the planet. The company, which manufactures plastic housewares under the Wham brand, is based at Altham in Lancashire. Pupils of …

Read More »

EasyDo Products relaunches limited edition pink Dishmatic for Breast Cancer Awareness Month

EasyDo Products is collaborating with Against Breast Cancer to raise funds and awareness for the charity during Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October. The manufacturer of the Dishmatic range of dispensing fillable and refillable washing up tools will donate £10,000 to the cause – and special pink limited-edition Dishmatic handles will …

Read More »

Hotpoint launches campaign with Jamie Oliver

Hotpoint has teamed up with its brand ambassador, celebrity cook Jamie Oliver, to launch the ‘Fresh Thinking for Forgotten Food’ campaign. The appliance manufacturer said that research it has commissioned reveals two-thirds of Brits worry about food waste, but admit to buying fresh ingredients that replace edible food in the …

Read More »

Sunshine boosts sales of small electricals at John Lewis

Total sales at John Lewis last week (to Saturday July 7) were down 0.3% on last year. The department store group’s operations director Dino Rocos said the result was impacted by two factors: “the very hot weather and the World Cup”. Dino noted that Home sales were down 8.4% but …

Read More »

England’s football success fuels sales at Waitrose

Divisional sales excluding fuel were up 4.2% at Waitrose last week (to Saturday July 7) compared with the same week last year. The supermarket chain’s finance director Loraine Woodhouse said: “England’s football success helped drive champagne sales up 49% and sparkling wine was boosted 53% – the biggest week for fizz since Christmas …

Read More »

RDT boss Bryan Clover takes a hike for charity

Industry charity the Rainy Day Trust is 175 years old and to mark the occasion, chief executive officer Bryan Clover is hiking 175 miles across the most rugged terrain around Cornwall. During the October ramble, he will cover 25 miles a day for a week (carrying 30lbs on his back), …

Read More »

BBC Two orders second helping of Million Pound Menu

BBC Two has ordered a second series of restaurant investment series ‘Million Pound Menu’, with restaurant general manager Fred Sirieix returning to host. Once again, budding restaurateurs will be vying for life-changing sums of investments in the food concepts they believe will be the next big culinary hit. A panel …

Read More »